With the help of our community, Scalawag has solidified its standing as a trusted media source from and about the South. Our members are an essential part of our community responsible for making our work accessible, visible, and free to everyone. As a member of Scalawag, you'll support our nonprofit journalism and storytelling online and in-person—and you'll get some special perks, too.
Becoming a member means joining a complex network of kinfolk—organizers, workers, poets, farmers, Grandpaps and Big Mamas who want justice and equity for us and every generation that comes after us.
We're here to reject “objectivity” when it comes to liberation and love our people through storytelling and through solidarity. We’re not here to peddle poverty-shaming agendas or pass along media narratives that whitewash the South.
We know the South is so much more than what national outlets tell us about our home. And we also know the South has more to offer than gardens and guns.
All Scalawag members receive:
- Full access to Scalawagmagazine.org and archived print content
- Our weekly newsletter This Week in the South
- Members-only online events and virtual spaces to connect with each other
- The opportunity to influence and inform Scalawag's coverage and decision-making
- Free access to Scalawag events—from film screenings and author talks, to poetry readings and parties
- And other cool member perks, merch, and special content.
“Scalawag is bad!”Nikky Finney, National Book Award-winning author of Head Off & Split
"If hope is a discipline, these folks have it."Lewis Raven Wallace, journalist and author of The View from Somewhere
“[Scalawag] does not review cocktail bars.”Richard Fausset, The New York Times
We wouldn’t be anywhere without y'all. Thank you.